Re: Using a pipe accross network with export/import

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 01:19:12 +0200

"Tanel Poder" <change_to_my_first_name_at_integrid.info> wrote:

>You could use exp -> pipe -> rsh to second server -> pipe -> imp. That way
>you use rsh to transfer your data between pipes over network and there's no
>need to store results in a file. (you can also use ssh -C option for
>compressing traffic if got enough CPU power).

Do you mean rsh or rcp?

>Or use exp/imp for transporting schema structure only and transfer all data
>over database link. This would be the preferred method for me at least. You
>could even transfer schema structure first, during uptime, provided that it
>doesn't change in mean time (you can check it using last_ddl_time in
>dba_objects). Disable constraints and set indexes unusable.
>And then kick out users from your source database, transfer increased
>sequence values and start using insserts over dblink to transfer data.

I have been advised very differently about the fastest way to transfer the DB; you are just the second one who says that a DB link would be faster than exp/imp. Besides that, the DB-link procedure seems to be more prune to errors than a simple full import. I am not familiar with the additional side operations with constraints, triggers, sequence values, etc. But since you provided a script too, I will try the transfer to a test environment, just to see how it works.