Re: schema health check

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 28 Aug 2003 15:33:31 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3F4D00E3.52A0B5BE_at_exxesolutions.com>...
> Imran Rahim wrote:
>
> > Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:<msh9kvkfqsm9h72hp8t352295isvs6v66i_at_4ax.com>...

> > > Uh oh . . . .
> > >
> > > You might want to search the archives for some lengthy threads on
> > > "Oracle Myths"
> >
> > Why is this a myth guys? - pls explain. thanks.
>
> Reread the sentence before you post:
>
> Here it is again in case you missed it:
>
> You might want to search the archives for some lengthy threads on "Oracle Myths"
>
> Why would you think we would want to rehash this yet again?

Here is the thread:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&th=6cffe9e53d1b67a4&rnum=1 http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&th=77f66d59f13375ec&rnum=4

Briefly, the index is much more cacheable, so you are unbalancing the I/O - in some cases, Oracle can read the index before the table. They are not saying separation's a bad thing, just that proactive performance is not the reason to do so. Data management (ie, backup/restore) and measurable disk hot spots are good reasons.

Perhaps the rationales given do not globally apply to all situations? Most likely I missed something, since I never saw any real answer to several questions. For example, minimizing the total time for a bunch of month-end reports to run serially can often be shown to be faster. If for no other reason than a read-ahead buffer on an array can more readily anticipate Oracle's full-table-scan block requests if it doesn't have to reject parts of other tables or indices. I saw some assertions that the unix filesystem will scatter disk blocks all over the place, even though that is at odds with what I see with od (of course, with putting everything into one extent on a fresh filesystem - ouch! stop hitting me!).

More interesting reading:

http://www.ixora.com.au/q+a/0008/26164737.htm
http://www.quest-pipelines.com/newsletter-v3/0302_F.htm
http://www.bethel.edu/college/dept/math-cs/os98smallgroup/files/unix1.html