Re: Info on Migrating Sybase to Oracle

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:14:45 -0700

Terry Dykstra wrote:

> This Sybase survival myth is so bizarre. 5 years in a row with every
> quarter turning a profit and people are still wondering whether Sybase will
> survive?
>
> --
> Terry Dykstra
> Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
>

> <snipped>

Not really. There are lots of companies that turned a profit and are no longer with us.

Where or where is Informix Corporation?
Where or where is WordPerfect?
Where or where is Fox Software?

Once marginalized sofware companies are an endangered species.

Larry came very close to making PeopleSoft go away. Do you think Sybase would fare any better if he determined that it made good business sense to stick a fork in it?

Sybase marginalized itself the day it decided to sell its soul to Microsoft. And if it ever becomes a serious market presence I suspect Bill & Co. will deliver the death stroke with a pen.

--
Daniel Morgan
http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/aoa/aoa_main.asp