Re: Info on Migrating Sybase to Oracle

From: Michael Lackey <mlackey_at_illuminet.com>
Date: 27 Aug 2003 08:22:53 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3F4BDE51.E75303EC_at_exxesolutions.com>...
> Michael Lackey wrote:
>
> > Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3F4AAB9B.4AE28508_at_exxesolutions.com>...

> > > Feel free to contact me at the University of Washington off-line. Will gladly
> > > help you with your project. My email address is under my signature. Include
> > > your phone number and I'll phone you.
> > >
> > > BTW: If you can get a copy of Tom Kyte's book 'Expert one-on-one Oracle'
> > > (WROX) do so and be sure to read the first three chapters very carefully.
> > Just curious, I work with Sybase and Oracle was wondering what the
> > deciding parameters where as they both have their strong and weak
> > points depending on what you plan to use them for.
>
> From my experience most organizations leaving Sybase are doing so for one of a small set of reasons:
>
> 1. Lack of confidence in the survival of Sybase
> 2. Lack of supporting third-party tools and applications
> 3. Lack of supporting employee resources.
>
> Take a look at amazon.com. A search for Sybase returns 54 books ... a search for Oracle returns 1122.
>
> That pretty much says it all in many business environments.

No doubt that Oracle is the big dog and I do agree because of their size there is a lot more information being published in print and on the web. I have found with Oracle that I never have a "new" problem, someone somewhere has already hit the same bug and worked around it. I've been the first in many cases to find bugs in Sybase over the years but then we push it too it's limits sometimes and have a wide variety of legacy code and applications (i.e. seem to have a better test suite then they do).

IMHO I think Sybase will be around for quite a while and has a viable product but then I bought Enron stock. Not sure what you mean by "Lack of supporting third-party tools and applications". Certainly development for new database tools will probably aim for Oracle and MSSQL first, but I don't feel it's because Sybase dosn't support them as they have a very open API and active partner program.

What kind of "Lack of supporting employee resources" have you seen. I imagine there are less developers with Sybase experience than with Oracle but then there are lots of MSSQL developers that could easily translate their skills to Sybase.

Thanks for the response, it's always good to keep up on what others see happening in the marketplace. Received on Wed Aug 27 2003 - 10:22:53 CDT