Re: rman and archive logs

From: Harald Maier <maierh_at_myself.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:56:55 +0200

"Steven" <SPAMBLOCKERsteven.pannell_at_gmx.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am using rman creating level 0 (weekly backup) and level 2 daily
> backups. My question is does it also make sense to backup the
> archive logs given that I use this stretegy to perform level 2
> incremental daily backups? The reason I ask is that the archive
> logs are very large and space consuming.

As far as I understand you only need it if you want to do a DBPITR or TSPITR recovery. The RMAN user guide states: 'RMAN always chooses incremental backups over archived logs.' So if you want only restore backups to get a _current time_ database you don't need to backup the archived logs. Here an example:

S M T W T
0 2 2 2

 -
   -

     -
       | crash

RMAN restores the incremental backup level 0 from Sunday, and the level 2 backups from Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. To get the current time RMAN applies too the non saved archived logs from the last level 2 backup.

As I montioned before if you want the possibility to make a DBPITR or TSPITR then you really need the archived logs.

Harald Received on Wed Aug 27 2003 - 03:56:55 CDT