Re: Info on Migrating Sybase to Oracle

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:25:21 -0700

Michael Lackey wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3F4AAB9B.4AE28508_at_exxesolutions.com>...
> > Myron Murff wrote:
> >
> > > We are a large division within a University. We are abandoning Sybase in
> > > favor of Oracle. Can anyone direct me to information about such a
> > > migration, or migration in general? Thank you.
> > >
> > > Sybase 11.0.5.2 on Solaris 5.7 to Oracle 9.2 on Solaris 5.9
> > >
> > > Myron
> >
> > Feel free to contact me at the University of Washington off-line. Will gladly
> > help you with your project. My email address is under my signature. Include
> > your phone number and I'll phone you.
> >
> > BTW: If you can get a copy of Tom Kyte's book 'Expert one-on-one Oracle'
> > (WROX) do so and be sure to read the first three chapters very carefully.
> Just curious, I work with Sybase and Oracle was wondering what the
> deciding parameters where as they both have their strong and weak
> points depending on what you plan to use them for.

From my experience most organizations leaving Sybase are doing so for one of a small set of reasons:

  1. Lack of confidence in the survival of Sybase
  2. Lack of supporting third-party tools and applications
  3. Lack of supporting employee resources.

Take a look at amazon.com. A search for Sybase returns 54 books ... a search for Oracle returns 1122.

That pretty much says it all in many business environments.

--
Daniel Morgan
http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/aoa/aoa_main.asp