Re: URGENT: Is there any way to change the INTERNAL password?

From: Maximus <asdfasdasd_at_eqeqweqwe.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:57:12 GMT

> > Hi Group,
> > I have inherited a database with an INTERNAL account whose password
was
> > changed and never documented. I can logon to the database as SYS and
SYSTEM
> > and another account that has full DBA privileges. I need to delete the
> > database. Can I delete the database without the INTERNAL password (the
> > database config asst won't let me) or is there a way to change this
> > password?
> >
> > Dave
>
> if you have sysdba authority you might be able to change the
> 'INTERNAL'
> password in a way similar to this:
>

> alter user internal identified by values 'tehs00k';
>
> and then connect using 'tehs00k' as password, i never tried it with
> the user INTERNAL, but it's worth a try.
> please post the current environment as it may helping finding some
> other way.

Nay, won't work. INTERNAL is the old method of authenticating SYSDBA's via password file authentication, the username only exists in the password file and not the database. The only way to reset the INTERNAL password is to use orapwd, which also resets SYS (which is the default SYSDBA account) to the same password.