Re: Is it possible to rename a tablespace ?

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 26 Aug 2003 04:02:47 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<g0hkkvc2vklqvhbqtec9mascg4k81b6hpm_at_4ax.com>...
> On 25 Aug 2003 09:17:47 -0700, rgaffuri_at_cox.net (Ryan Gaffuri) wrote:
>

> >see my post below. this is why we update TS$ before we do the export.
> >Then we name it back in the staging server.
>

> Which is of course stupid, as TS$ is, IIRC, not the only dictionary
> table with the tablespace name, and also it is stupid, because it
> invalidates your support contract. Hence such measures shouldn't be
> recommended to anyone. They might sue you when something goes wrong.
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

man sybrand you must be a real joy to work with.

if you read the post, I state use at your own risk. I also state we dont use it on production data or on anything we cant afford to lose. I didnt go into enough detail. We only change the name of the tablespace 'temporarily'. So we can do the export. This way the export has a different tablespace name in it. We then copy the datafile. Rename the tablespace back.

I didnt come up with the idea. but i understand the reasoning. given the amount of data we have to push and given our 'zero downtime' requirement, it was the only option.

what part of use at your own risk dont you understand? Received on Tue Aug 26 2003 - 06:02:47 CDT