Re: Storing TNSNAMES in Microsoft Active Directory

From: Burt <burtpelt_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 25 Aug 2003 21:53:24 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<39ffkvo0bgq5f5guudt93jdabktcp1jsts_at_4ax.com>...
> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:51:44 -0500, "Burton Peltier"
> <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> >But, even Oracle Names seems like just 1 more thing that could break and
> >doesn't buy you that much.
>
> It does buy you
> - a centralized tnsnames.ora
> - b automatic global links between all your databases
> - c faster lookup of connect strings
> - d delegated administration possible if you are in a large network

I did say I would prefer Hostname Method... more comments below on this.

  1. A file system could be centralized and Hostname method is centralized too.
  2. Would that "automatic links" also be dependent on setting the init.ora "global_names" parameter(my spelling of this parameter may be off a little)?

It has been a while since I did this, but I seem to recall using this WITHOUT Oracle Names. It is a nice feature - no need to create DB links. But then again neither could I create DB links that were not already defined . This was using version 7 and a while back, so this may not be the case anymore.

c) Interesting I noted the "Hostname Method" is also quicker than tnsnames.ora . Never noticed that about Oracle Names, but ok.

d) Again, if the file system method is setup right. Also, I would use Hostname as my primary method and just use DNS aliases.

> >I know replicating tnsnames.ora all over the place might seem "old
> >technology", but if your replication (not Oracle replication, but file
> >system replication) of the file tnsnames.ora is setup right, this seems less
> >problem-atic to me.
>
> You are clearly wrong. NT replication is in itself intrinsically a

I agree NT replication HAS to be monitored. It is a piece of junk.

But, I keep seeing (more than once) comments in places like Metalink by Oracle employees that Oracle Names is being replaced by LDAP (just not sure when, they say). Of course, this doesn't mean anything until we see an official desupport notice.

But, with LDAP, I would guess it will be a Microsoft LDAP storage for most people. Wouldn't this concern you also?

Anyway, as I stated in my post, I prefer the "Hostname Method". I did fail to mention I would use as a 2nd lookup the tnsnames.ora for those few entries that use non-default settings. This could also be used to override the "Hostname Method" if you code the sqlnet.ora parameter (forgot the name) to lookup tnsnames first and then hostname second.

Again, interesting, even with this order of lookup, Hostname is quicker than tnsnames.ora .