Re: More Memory the better ...Why not

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:33:32 +0200

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 14:45:55 GMT, Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote:

>I seem to recall that allocating too much memory to the Shared Pool can
>actually lead to performance problems.

Yes this is correct. There is a hash structure on top the sql area. With the sql area getting bigger the hash structure will also get bigger and taking longer to search. During the search the sql area is protected by a latch, the number of latches is limited. So you would actually limit scalability to increasing the shared pool at infinitum. IIRC this applies to all versions since 8.1.5 at least.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Aug 25 2003 - 12:33:32 CDT