Re: Is it possible to rename a tablespace ?

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 25 Aug 2003 09:16:42 -0700

Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3F480DF7.E1C_at_yahoo.com>...
> Daniel Morgan wrote:
> >
> > Luigi wrote:
> >
> > > Dear all,
> > > I'd like to know if it's possible to rename a tablespace with Oracle 9i.
> > > Thanks a lot
> > > Luigi
> >
> > No. But I wonder why you would care. Tablespace names are absolutely
> > irrelevant. Not a single piece of application SQL will ever mention a
> > tablespace name: Just ignore it.
> >
> > --
> > Daniel Morgan
> > http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
> > damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> > (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)
>
> Actually its a genuine requirement. What if you want to transport a
> tablespace from two different databases to the same target and those
> names coincide...
>
> I would not be surprised at all if this functionality appears in a
> future release
>
> hth
> connor

i posted this on oracle-l and on here several months ago and people flipped out....

we update TS$ directly in order to overcome the transportable tablespace issue. We only do it on our staging server, so no production data gets effected.

We have run into problems where the library cache and what is in the data dictionry becomes out of synch. IE old values in memory and new values in the data dictionary. We flush the shared pool to get around this.

Use at your own risk. We have a zero downtime requirement so we cannot drop our previous tablespace first then transport the new one. Do not do this any place where you cannot afford downtime to recover. We have not had any problems yet, but you never know... Received on Mon Aug 25 2003 - 11:16:42 CDT