Re: How's this for a cunning piece of spam.

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:14:17 +0100

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3F47F92C.240B90C1_at_exxesolutions.com...
> > Now, if I were a cynical, bitter and suspicious person,
> > it might cross my mind that every anti-virus company
> > in the world could spam every known email address
> > from just about every other known email address with
> > a message that claimed to be from a user of their anti-virus
> > software that had detected a virus in an email from the
> > first email address..
> >
> > Would a software company really be that underhand ?
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >
> > Jonathan Lewis

<snip>

> Not every one of them ... but obviously this one.
>
> Hopefully your posting will alert others to ignore them.
>
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

That would be unfortunate since this worm spoofs the from email address, and so the one thing you can be absolutely sure of is that this particular email did NOT come from them. ISTM that SMTP is a standard desperately in need of updating, but don't watch this space.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA