Re: How to optimize query with %% ?

From: Rene Nyffenegger <rene.nyffenegger_at_gmx.ch>
Date: 24 Aug 2003 11:52:21 GMT

> Dear all,
> I'd like if it's possible to optimize queries using %ABC% operator. I've
> read to
> use hints but I'm looking for a concrete example.
> Any help ?
> Thanks
> Francesco

Francesco,

It is not possible just with a hint. But it could be made possible if you create your own 'index'. That is, for each word where you want to apply like %ABC%, you pre-extract all possible substrings of that word and store it somewhere else. So, you will have ABC where you can find it with ABC.

I have outlined this technique on my webpage: http://www.adp-gmbh.ch/ora/plsql/poor_mans_text_index.html

(It works with 9i)

Hth
Rene