Re: not able to turn on sql_trace for an instance

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 20:54:05 +0100

"Harald Maier" <maierh_at_myself.com> wrote in message news:m3brugyjte.fsf_at_ate.maierh...

> "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> writes:
>
> > You don't mention one great advantage of this approach which is that you
can
> > DISABLE/ENABLE triggers. I prefer calling DBMS_SUPPORT (can you tell) in
> > SCHEMA logon trigger because you can grant execute on DBMS_SUPPORT to
the
> > relevant accounts without granting ALTER SESSION and because you are
doing
> > it at the schema level rather than the db level. Imagine an error in a
db
> > level logon trigger.....
>
> I am looking into the 'Supplied PL/SQL Packages and Types Reference
> (a96612)' and I cannot find a documentation for the package
> 'dbms_support'. The same is true for the package 'dbms_system'. Exists
> another document that describes this packages?

Hmmm. I'm fairly sure that there used to be some docs for DBMS_SYSTEM but I cannot now find them, you are correct that it is not documented in the official docs (though they do tell you to use it to trace another users session in the Tuning Manual). Connor has a write up on dbms_support at http://www.oracledba.co.uk/tips/tracing2.htm

It is probably worth posting the package header here since it does contain a warning (albeit in my view a daft one)

Rem
Rem $Header: dbmssupp.sql 18-nov-98.12:54:10 hbergh Exp $ Rem
Rem dbmssupp.sql
Rem
Rem Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1998. All Rights Reserved. Rem
Rem NAME
Rem dbmssupp.sql - Specification of the DBMS_SUPPORT package Rem
Rem DESCRIPTION

Rem      The aim of these procedures is to expose useful functionality while
Rem      keeping a simple user interface for selected operations only.
Rem
Rem NOTES
Rem      This package should only be installed when requested by Oracle
Rem      Support. It is not documented in the server documentation.
Rem      It is to be used only as directed by Oracle Support.
Rem
Rem    MODIFIED   (MM/DD/YY)
Rem    hbergh      11/18/98 -
Rem    hbergh      10/12/98 - dbms_support package
Rem    hbergh      10/12/98 - Created

Rem
create or replace package dbms_support as

  function package_version return varchar2;   pragma restrict_references (package_version, WNDS, WNPS, RNPS);

  function mysid return number;
  pragma restrict_references (mysid, WNDS, WNPS, RNPS);

  procedure start_trace(waits IN boolean default TRUE,

                        binds IN boolean  default FALSE);

  procedure stop_trace;

  procedure start_trace_in_session(sid IN number,

                                   serial IN number,
                                   waits  IN boolean  default TRUE,
                                   binds  IN boolean  default FALSE);

  procedure stop_trace_in_session(sid IN number,
                                  serial IN number);

end dbms_support;

--
Niall Litchfield