Re: Storing TNSNAMES in Microsoft Active Directory

From: Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:51:44 -0500

Just one opinion ...

But, why would you want to be dependent on microsofot AD to do an Oracle connect ? You will still need tnsnames.ora files on the servers in order to do DB Links between databases. Or, is there a way to use AD on the Unix servers ? (Yikes!) Hope the answer is no.

I do seem to recall (might be mistaken) that Oracle says Oracle Names is going away and the migration for users is to migrate to storing this information in microsoft AD (or an LDAP source like Oracle Internet Directory).

But, even Oracle Names seems like just 1 more thing that could break and doesn't buy you that much.

I know replicating tnsnames.ora all over the place might seem "old technology", but if your replication (not Oracle replication, but file system replication) of the file tnsnames.ora is setup right, this seems less problem-atic to me.

Actually, I prefer the "Hostname Method" where you don't need tnsnames.ora, LDAP, or Oracle Names. All you need is a TCP/IP DNS lookup alias. Of course this method has limitations like you must use the default port 1521, cannot use MTS (that's Oracle MTS), or any other feature that requires non-default coding in the tnsnames.ora .

--
"Big Chuck" <ccarson_at_echeeba.com> wrote in message

> Can anyone point me to some resources that detail using a microsofot AD
> server to store TNSNAMES information? The Oracle documentation says it
> is supported but I cannot find any detailed info on oracle's site
> showing how to do this.
>
> Our environment is mostly oracle 9.2.0.3 on Solaris, 8.1.7.4 on Solaris,
> and some 8.1.7.3 on Windows.
>
> Thx,
> CC

News==----