Re: OT, but quite educational if you got the time to read it.

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 22 Aug 2003 14:27:26 -0700

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<3f460a4f$0$10357$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> "Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message news:1a75df45.0308212239.70e2dfb1_at_posting.google.com...
>

> > I am not talking software or even quality of software. Simply about
> > the underhand, dirty, predatory, and often illegal, methods that these
> > guys use to do business.
> >

> As companies get larger, the control their bosses have over what
> the rank and file does is less and less. It is quite possible for
> this to happen without the top echelons even being aware what's
> going on.

I think Steve Ballmer saying Linux is the biggest threat in the world is more common. Like any anthropologic group, if you are not part of the group, you are an enemy to be conquered.

> It's like the military of an invading or controlling power:
> you see the most incredible crimes being commited and the
> top brass is not even aware what's going on.

They are aware, they just rationalize it, and wash their hands when there is a PR problem.

> All manifestations of a general common malaise that is
> the misuse and abuse of too much power.
>
> > Or do all the money (and power) smother one's conscience and
> > principles?
>
> I don't think money does. Power, yes. And the two do
> not necessarily always go hand in hand. Although in most
> cases they do.

Some of the nicest people I've know have been rich. They can afford to show some class outside of the business environment. And some of the worst have been the newly rich, they feel they have to always compete and aren't happy just to win, there must be losers. Then there's losers who manage to have a little bit of power, and so abuse it.

Then there's a-holes like Issa, who bare-knuckle their way into commercial success, and then go into politics thinking since they are rich, they must be smart. They wind up being fascists. Issa is the right-wing nut case who financed the recall debacle in California, then left in tears when he realized he was being shoved aside by The Terminator (who as a Republican appears to be more Democrat than some Democrats). Now the whole world laughs. And some Dems go *aha*! We could do this to Bush!

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  I hope this link shows the "Feinstein Aims at
Schwarzenegger" picture: