Re: technical wet dreams and SQL fantasies

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:23:56 GMT

> > > Demi chastises me for not being in third normal form, of all things!
My
> > > punishment is to provide her with gratification until she says to
stop.
> > > Egad!
> >
> > I think referential integrity is a casualty of this thread...
> > :D
> >
> > > contract job for a company who insisted on using SQL Server versus
Access
> > > because it made the CEO feel more like an "enterprise" user. Access
would
> > > have suited his needs perfectly (heck, even FoxPro). Baffling how
egomaniacs
> > > always manage to get startup capital.
> >
> > Hehehe! Funny how these "CEO's" are never called on
> > their "views". They're never shy of imposing their
> > stupid views on techos, but they are the first to force
> > them to cut costs after being forced to follow their
> > deranged recommendations...
> >
> > Cheers
> > Nuno Souto
> > wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam
>
> Every coin has two sides. Part of the responsibility lies with senior
management that hires IT personnel
> that are wholly unqualified to do the job.
>
> But IT pros need to accept some the of responsibility too. Too often we
take the amoral course and
> refuse to speak up when asked to do stupid things that we know will end up
falling apart. Too often we
> work, unpaid, evenings and weekends to make up for wholly predictable
mistakes. In effect, we cover up
> for the mistakes of others.
>
> I understand the need for a paycheck and the desire to not make waves. But
it isn't going to get better
> until more of us are willing to stand up and be counted.
>
> Things do not get fixed that are not perceived to be broken. That doesn't
mean they should be
> intentionally broken, or maliciously sabotauged. But it does mean that it
isn't the end of the world and
> civilization as we know it if the server crashes on a Thursday and you
just go home at 5:00pm.

> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

Amen! With the latest worm crap at work I made it clear to my boss that since management does not allocate enough resources to deal proactively with that type of problem that it really isn't important. He started to protest and I interrupted him and said, no, management decides what we work on, management is aware of the problem, if management does not allow time to work on these things before hand then it is clear how important it is. Jim Received on Fri Aug 22 2003 - 15:23:56 CDT