Re: not able to turn on sql_trace for an instance

From: Fabrizio Napolitano <fnapolitano_at_belgacom.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:32:02 +0000 (UTC)

Niall thank you very much.

The application has a log and we are using it at the moment the problem is that is not very clear; for example it gives two different times :
OPEN DATA 41 min
READ DATA 1h 06 min

at this point it is not clear if the Open data is the time to retrieve the first row or an internal time of the application spent in who knows what.

I think it is the time to retrieve the first row but to be sure of that I would like to trace the run.

I can capture the SQL on the flight with TOAD and then executed it in a traced session, but you can imagine that if I choose a small cube then it is not
so easy to capture it and if I take a long running one then it is a bit boring.

If I am able to generate all the traces can I aggregate them in a big one file before to
use tkprof?

Last question to understan if I got it right this time: I change my init setting sql_trace TRUE
shotdown/start the db
and then I can use the Alter System set sql_trace on... or I have to set the par in init.ora shotdown/start the db then change it again and shotdown/start the db??

Thank you very much again
Fabrizio