Re: More Memory the better ...Why not

From: Tanel Poder <change_to_my_first_name_at_integrid.info>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 17:19:44 +0300

Hi!

More memory means more CPU resources for managing this memory. Also, if you meant that if your server does have 4GB of mem, why not make a SGA 4GB in size, the reason is that there is operating system stuff which requires memory, oracle processes and if you are running on standard cooked file systems then OS tends to keep certain amount of memory for file system caching, even if you have only RDBMS running there. The OS doesn't know that caching is already done in application (in this case Oracle Server) level.

Even if money isn't a constraint, at certain point you will benefit 0% in performance when adding 100% of memory.

Tanel.