Re: not able to turn on sql_trace for an instance

From: Fabrizio Napolitano <fnapolitano_at_belgacom.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:23:00 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Harald,

Actually I really need to trace at instance level. We are using Cognos a BI tool to create cubes to analyze. The problem is that the tool open a session does something with it and then open an new session and does something else... this for many times.

we would like to trace the sql that it is generating but it is really difficult
when the session is changing so often. this is why I thought to use alter system:
SQL> alter system set sql_trace on
  2 ;
alter system set sql_trace on

                 *

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02095: specified initialization parameter cannot be modified

I have looked in the documentation but I could not find anything and in the performance and tuning it says you can use it if you need to trace the whole instance.

Do not worry I know it will slow down the system but I am going to use it on a test server
with only that tool running ;-)

Any other suggestion?

thanks very much!!

Fabrizio