Re: OT, but quite educational if you got the time to read it.

From: Phil Britton <phil_at_phil-britton.com>
Date: 22 Aug 2003 10:22:18 +0100

vslabs_at_onwe.co.za (Billy Verreynne) writes:

> "Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote
>
> > http://news.com.com/2008-1082_3-5065859.html?tag=fd_lede2_hed
>
> Q. What is it that Open Source has shown the clearest?
>
> A. Just what commercial software companies truly are. From Microsoft
> to SCO.
>
> I am not talking software or even quality of software. Simply about
> the underhand, dirty, predatory, and often illegal, methods that these
> guys use to do business.
>
> I at times wonder.. just how can you as a person sleep at night when
> you spend every waking moment trying to screw or even destroy fellow
> human beings? How can you look at yourself in the mirror? Or even look
> your kids into the eyes when they look trustingly at you as their
> rolemodel, mentor, guide & tutor...
>
> Or do all the money (and power) smother one's conscience and
> principles?

I know a few people who work in the arms business and I've asked them similar questions. Their answer usually is along the lines of "Yes I know it's a terrible business which kills and maims people, but if we didn't make and sell these things then somebday else would"

I suspect people who work for unethical companies like SCO or Microsoft have s similar mindset,

cheers

Phil

--

As of now they're on Double SECRET Probation!