Re: Process Documentation and Engineering - In Use?

From: BH <info_at_siliconmindset.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 04:45:08 GMT

OK I really do appreciate the input here .... but sometimes us Techies have a need to find a problem with a question and pontificate as to why others 'don't get it'.

The reason is simple. The DB specific layer should easily work with multiple versions of Oracle. But as any half way decent Developer knows. You need to certify your product on specific versions. IE Tested 100% with XXX or YYY. Now as most of us know a clip of PL/SQL will work with any version.....but you need to categorically state it has been tested and certified by the manufacturer to work with a specific version... I mean come on if you are supporting a trading application or Banking application you are not arrogant and say..hay my stuff works with any version...unless of course you are so confident in your work that you go over the line of confident to blind arrogance. When I say something works with version XXX even thought the code uses no specific PL/SQL of any specific version I will test it, then test it again then have someone else test it.

Somehow I thought my question was really just plain old simple - what is the more prevalent version out their. Now I understand the need offer advice on design - but that I do not need - yet - maybe later - just looking for a simple answer like '9.2'

--
Bruce J Hafner
http://www.siliconmindset.com