Re: schema health check

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Aug 2003 17:22:11 -0700

TurkBear <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us> wrote in message news:<n4k9kv450o78225eresv9c6pviql6e7h93_at_4ax.com>...
> Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote:
>
> >On 21 Aug 2003 01:13:54 -0700, i_rahim_at_hotmail.com (Imran Rahim)
> >wrote:

> >>I am checking these because we seperate the disks for indexes and data
> >>to minimise contention
> >
> >Uh oh . . . .
> >
> >You might want to search the archives for some lengthy threads on
> >"Oracle Myths"
> >\\
>
> Yes, the contention issue has been well debunked, but the use of separate tablespaces for data files and indexes still makes
> sense since the storage parameters will almost certainly be different..
> ( Just like multiple tablespaces for different types of data tables..)

More generally, you (the OP) should be checking that objects are in the tablespace they are supposed to be. Indices in the system tablespace, for example, could be bad news indeed.

Also, on metalink, select top tech docs --> database --> basic administration --> scripts --> database scripts

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  "IN NO EVENT SHALL ORACLE BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR