Re: Database Server Vs. Application Servers - Processing Location - Regional vs. Global

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:23:32 GMT

Comments embedded.
Jim

"Burton Peltier" <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:LY31b.96$g9.49_at_fe03.atl2.webusenet.com...
> I also like Citrix and it does work great. But, the way we have designed
our
> global environment (currently) is that the login to Citrix loads your
> "roaming profile". When the profile is stored in a regional file server
> (like ours), then the load to the other side of the globe can take a while
> no matter how small the profile is.

Very true. We found that out also and disabled the roaming profile. Otherwise, someone from India with a large roaming profile would take 45 minutes to launch an application. Not good performance.

> So, in our case, the current regional Citrix with regional file servers
and
> with regional database servers works better. But, to just change this to a
> global database server (and not global other servers) it seems this could
> cause some potentially major performance problems .
If you don't need to share the data then that is good. In our case we went from 3 call tracking systems and no sharing of data to 1. We give better support with less work.

> So, if we are going to have global database servers, a global Citrix
server
> would probably work well, but all the other servers (file server too with
> the profile) would have to be moved to the same area of the globe .

Yes. You are correct.

> Anyway, then we would be locked into running everything off Citrix or
> potentially run client/server apps hitting a database on the other side of
> the globe! - wouldn't this perform poorly? So, any application that is
> still client/server would have to be able to run in Citrix, which it is my
> understanding (not a Citrix expert by any means) that not all applications
> work in Citrix.

Yes. You are correct some applications don't run on Citrix. Usually these are 16 bit apps. In a prior life we found running 16 bit telnet sessions bought the server to its knees. However, most applications do run quite well on Citrix.

> --
> "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net> wrote in message
> > I work for a company that has a global call tracking in one database in
> one
> > location and serves up the application via Citrix. Works very well.
Our