Re: Database Server Vs. Application Servers - Processing Location - Regional vs. Global

From: Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 08:51:31 -0500

I also like Citrix and it does work great. But, the way we have designed our global environment (currently) is that the login to Citrix loads your "roaming profile". When the profile is stored in a regional file server (like ours), then the load to the other side of the globe can take a while no matter how small the profile is.

So, in our case, the current regional Citrix with regional file servers and with regional database servers works better. But, to just change this to a global database server (and not global other servers) it seems this could cause some potentially major performance problems .

So, if we are going to have global database servers, a global Citrix server would probably work well, but all the other servers (file server too with the profile) would have to be moved to the same area of the globe .

Anyway, then we would be locked into running everything off Citrix or potentially run client/server apps hitting a database on the other side of the globe! - wouldn't this perform poorly? So, any application that is still client/server would have to be able to run in Citrix, which it is my understanding (not a Citrix expert by any means) that not all applications work in Citrix.