Re: Database Server Vs. Application Servers - Processing Location - Regional vs. Global

From: Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:12:58 -0500

Thanks for the comments/opinions from everyone.

Now it seems there is some (little I hope/think?) discussion on consolidation of all the tiers in 1 global location.

I can see where regional data centers make sense and we already have achieved this somewhat and are actively moving more toward regional data centers.

The newer discussion/idea is to have all servers in 1 location and use the 3-tier model as a first choice or use something like Citrix for the applications that do not easily fit this model (client/server).

It seems the only way this new idea will work is if just about every server is moved to the 1 global location. For example, logging into a Citrix server that loads a user's profile stored on file server from across the globe will not work. Or, having a client/server model application hitting a global location for the database from the other side of the globe will not work (I am guestimating). And, of course, 3-tier model apps would have to have all the servers in the same (or close to it) global location.

Anyway, again, any comments/opinions welcome on regional vs. global .