Re: Archieval of data

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:54:57 -0700

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:55:49 -0700, Shafeek Khalidh <itsprobablyme_at_msn.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to keep 6 months data in production server and archieve the rest
> of
> the data, then delete the archieved data from the production. That means,
> have only 6 months data in the production always, I need to retrieve any
> archieved records if required with in 2 days of time, Can you please
> suggest
> the best methods,
>
> Thanks
> Shafeek

What you desire to do can be non-trivial. Assume a master/detail (parent/child) relationship exists. Assume a master record & a detail record get created on the same day. Assume that more than 6 months have passed. Assume the detail record "has not been closed"; such as an unpaid invoice (record).
Does the master record get archived & leaves behind an orphaned detail record?

I strongly suspect that your business rules will result in a complex archiver procedure which may cost many time more to develop ( & maintain) than simply buying more disk and keeping all "history" online. Received on Wed Aug 20 2003 - 18:54:57 CDT