Re: MTS not workin ??

From: quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 05:46:14 +1000

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:11:22 +0200, Harald Maier <maierh_at_myself.com> wrote:

> ibrahim.dogan_at_lowes.com (Ibrahim DOGAN) writes:
>
>> quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com> wrote in message
>>> mts_dispatchers=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(DISPATCHERS=3)
>>> mts_servers=5
>>>
>>> You don't need a 'listener' parameter in the setting for dispatchers,
>>> because quite evidently, your listener runs tcp/ip on port 1521, and
>>> those are the defaults, and therefore the dispatchers will register
>>> themselves with that in any case. You only need all that other guff if
>>> your listener is not running tcp/ip, not on port 1521, or isn't called
>>> "listener".
>>>

>> here is the values of mts_* parameters after i left only 2 mts
>> parameters in init.ora file as you specified above:
>>
>> SELECT name, value FROM v$parameter WHERE name like 'mts%';
>>
>> NAME VALUE
>> -------------------- -----------------------------
>> mts_dispatchers (PROTOCOL=TCP)(DISPATCHERS=3)
>> mts_servers 5
>> mts_max_servers 20
>> mts_max_dispatchers 5
>> mts_sessions 33
>> mts_circuits 38
>> mts_service PRACTICE
>> mts_listener_address [NULL]
>> mts_multiple_listeners FALSE
>
> Looks good!
>
> Now look again to 'lnsrctl services'. Do you see the dispatcher entry?
> If yes, then make a tnsnames.ora entry with a SERVER=SHARED entry. If
> you have specified a SERVICE=<name> in the mts_dispatchers entry then
> you can connect directly to the service name an then you don't need
> the SERVER=SHARED entry. But I am not sure whether this will work
> under 8.1.7. Unfortunately my 8.1.7 system is specified with a
> compatible mode 8.0.5 and there the specified SERVICE is not shown
> with 'lsnrctl services'. See a previous mail from me that contains an
> example.
>
> Harald

Will the original poster *PLEASE TAKE THE HINT* and supply an Oracle version and an operating system??? Then we won't have to continue speculating about whether we are talking 8i or 8.0. And in this particular case, the version number makes a huge difference, as Harald is suggesting here.

And, to disagree with Harald slightly, there are *no* circumstances under which a SERVER=SHARED entry is required in the tnsnames.ora to make MTS work. None. Because if MTS is configured properly, you will get a shared server connection by default, whether you ask for one or not.

It makes much more sense to have a duplicate entry in the tnsnames.ora that specifies SERVER=DEDICATED, because there are a number of occasions when it is important to ensure you have a dedicated connection (startup, shutdown, RMAN etc etc). Since the default is to supply you with a shared server connection, it's important to be able to demand something other than the default.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Aug 19 2003 - 14:46:14 CDT