Re: Avoiding any locks in SQL Servers - read and understand....its magic.

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:24:40 GMT

Ever gotten stuck on the inside of a roundabout during rush hour traffic? I have. Takes forever sometimes to get off on your particular street. I've even had to go around it more than once before! If a traffic light was there, I probably could've gotten to my destination quicker, in that particular case. But then in many cases, a roundabout is much quicker. It all depends and one solution does not fit all cases.

Cheers,
Brian

Billy Verreynne wrote:

> Guido Stepken <stepken_at_little-idiot.de> wrote
>
> > Locking is not neccessary, database performance increases very much,
> > because clients (and server) do not have to wait for any lock to be
> > released.
>
> I'm still not convinced. Nor have you bothered to address my concerns.
> Or any of the other posters'.
>
> Simplest of examples. A file with a single record. 10 processes
> reading and writing that _same_ record. Without locking, how do you
> guarantee that one process i/o does not trashes another process's i/o
> and that data integrity remains?
>
> By introducing more overheards - increasing space/memory requirements
> to have multiple copies? By making the clients "more intelligent"?
> Adding aditional processes to manage the conflict and ensure that only
> a single correctly constructed copy of that record resides on disk?
>
> And how does this address the issue where serialisation of process i/o
> is mandatory? Please illustrate in a no-nonsense bullshit-free
> fashion how this non-locking method solves this.
>
> And again - show me the HOW/WHERE/WHEN/WHY of "Locks are evil" and how
> this convoluted method can do it better than just a plain normal lock,
> the way Oracle handles it?
>
> Is it not interesting that it is exactly those vendor products you
> have named, that are those vendors who cannot and never had been able
> to get locking right... and had to resort to dirty reads, page locking
> and crap like that?
>
> > Say goodbye to locking, its not elementary for any business process.
> > Look at traffic lights. All people think, they are neccessary. They're
> > not. Substitute them by roundabouts and you will see, there will be much
> > less traffic delays. Only the producers of traffic lights profit. By the
> > way, this fact was proven in mathematical institute of cologne, germany
> > by a former student, who worked on traffic simulations, never became
> > really popular, Siemens was not delighted as producer from traffic
> > lights technology.
>
> Well, let me throw this analogy back at you. I have seen many traffic
> circles (aka round-abouts) USING traffic lights!!!!, simply because
> they do not work as envisioned.. because the traffic flow is nowhere
> near as the ideal solution that was modeled.. because the drivers does
> not behave as they thought the ideal (fantasy) driver should behave...
>
> To quote Morphues.. Welcome to the real world. But then you had to go
> and swallow the red pill.
>
> --
> Billy

Brian Peasland