Re: svrmgrl does not run when login as root

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 19 Aug 2003 06:13:54 -0700

"DJ" <nospamplease_at_goaway.com> wrote in message news:<le80b.15558$yl6.5973_at_newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net>...
> "Mark D Powell" <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com> wrote in message
> > jeffyee_at_hotmail.com (Jeffrey Yee) wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a monitoring and management application that needs to login to
> > > the monitored node as root and run some scripts that will connect to
> > > the database (I know, it's crazy to login as root, but this is the
> > > application requirement, to basically get the Oracle version running
> > > on the monitored server).
> > >
> > > Well, the monitored node has 2 oracle sid, lets say test1 and test2,
> > > running on Oracle8i 8.1.7, on SunOS 5.8. I managed to get sqlplus
> > > running, by adding the following:
> > > export ORACLE_HOME=/app/oracle/product/8.1.7
> > > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/lib
> > > export PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin
> > >
> > > But I can't get svrmgrl to run, even after adding the following:
> > > export ORACLE_SID=test1
> > >
> > > The error I get is as follow:
> > > test1 # svrmgrl
> > >
> > > Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.7.0.0 - Production
> > >
> > > Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
> > >
> > > ld.so.1: oracleibre: fatal: libskgxp8.so: open failed: No such file or
> > > directory
> > > ld.so.1: oracleibre: fatal: libskgxp8.so: open failed: No such file or
> > > directory
> > > ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact
> > > SVRMGRL>
> > >
> > > I can find the libskgxp8.so in the $ORACLE_HOME/lib, and I can start
> > > SVRMGRL as oracle unix user.
> > >
> > > In fact, I tried it on other server, which run on the same OS version,
> > > and have Oracle8i 8.1.7.4 db, and I can start both SVRMGRL and
> > > SQLPLUS, by just adding the ORACLE_HOME to the environment (I don't
> > > even need to set the ORACLE_SID & LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment
> > > varialble).
> > >
> > > Please do advice, as I'm totally confuse. Thank you in advance.
> > >
> > > Best Regards,
> > > Jeffrey Yee
> >
> > Basic default security is that only members of the UNIX Oracle Group,
> > generally the database group, can invoke and successfully connect to
> > svrmgrl. Since you are root, su - oracle and run your script.
> >
> > HTH -- Mark D Powell --
>
> Not true, any user can connect to svrmgrl - but only those in the dba group
> can connect internal
>
> e.g.
>
> zhl4s002.:V4MIG > id
> uid=48571(dsharple) gid=1902(fraud)
>
> zhl4s002.:V4MIG > svrmgrl
>
> Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.7.0.0 - Production
>
> Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
>
> Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.4.0 - Production
> With the Partitioning option
> JServer Release 8.1.7.4.0 - Production
>
> SVRMGR> connect dave/dave
> Connected.
> SVRMGR>
I stand corrected. The default security restriction is that only a DBA group member can connect / as sysdba or equivilent though use of svrmgrl. It should be noted that svrmgrl usage should be replaced with sqlplus /nolog starting with 8.1 as svrmgrl is an obsolete utility. [However we have had the situation where we could not get a sqlplus /nolog connection but we could connect with svrmgrl so sometimes you have to wonder about Oracle's advancements].