Re: Avoiding any locks in SQL Servers - read and understand....its magic.

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:06:17 GMT

"Guido Stepken" <stepken_at_little-idiot.de> wrote in message news:bhserr$26q$00$1_at_news.t-online.com...
> Hi, Billy !
>
> I don't really know, if PostgreSQL, Firebird, Informix, LogicSQL are
> phantasy products. The all support MVTO, MVCC. MS and other database
> makers haven't understood the great advantage of this technology. True,
> not implementing MBCC makes things much more simple for database
> programmers, but makes database programming much more expensive. Somehow
> this is wanted by MVP's, MSCD's, they earn more money.
>
> Locking is not neccessary, database performance increases very much,
> because clients (and server) do not have to wait for any lock to be
> released.
>
> If you still want to lock rows for many client access, make yourself
> clear, that you are programming with a technology, coming from stone age
> of database programming. Live with it, waist money, believe, you're on
> the right way.
>
> Say goodbye to locking, its not elementary for any business process.
> Look at traffic lights. All people think, they are neccessary. They're
> not. Substitute them by roundabouts and you will see, there will be much
> less traffic delays. Only the producers of traffic lights profit. By the
> way, this fact was proven in mathematical institute of cologne, germany
> by a former student, who worked on traffic simulations, never became
> really popular, Siemens was not delighted as producer from traffic
> lights technology.

Hi Guido,

I think your traffic lights / roundabouts example is an excellent analogy (living in Canberra, Australia we're the roundabout capital ...)

You're perfectly correct that roundabouts can replace traffic lights *but* only under light to moderate loads. If you introduce a roundabout at an interchange where there's heavy traffic, it's a hopeless nightmare as there's rarely a free opportunity in any direction. As a result, the traffic just piles up and up (there's a rather nasty example not 5 minutes from here) and one only wishes for traffic lights to control the situation.

I fear your "magic" has very similar repercussions ....

Without getting into a DB vs. DB debate, some databases implement the "evil" that is locking better than others and in a manner that perhaps when understood and designed for is not so evil after all.

And it enables high volume, high concurrency applications to function superbly without any magic at all ... ;)

Cheers

Richard Received on Tue Aug 19 2003 - 08:06:17 CDT