Re: Problems with Oracle 8.1.7 under UNITED LINUX (SuSE 8.1)

From: Harald Maier <maierh_at_myself.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:50:34 +0200

"Markus Hoss" <ho_at_gruen-ag.de> writes:

> That´s the way i did it. I made a custom database, selected
> WE8ISO8859P15 as characterset and set national charactercode to UTF8
> assumig to use unicode. I added the nls_territory, nls_language and
> nls_sort parameters set to GERMAN to the init files of the
> databases. In the enterprise manager these parameters are shown as
> set on GERMAN . If I use the sql statement: select * from
> nls_database_parameters I get AMERICAN. Switiching to : select *
> from nls_instance_parameters I get GERMAN. Never the less queries
> with german umlauten don´t work correctly. Select names > 'Müller'
> drops names starting with 'mu' etc.

I don't know from which client you try this. If you use the sqlplus tool then it expects in that case that the NLS_LANG variable is set. If not then I assume it uses US7ASCII. Other programs that are linked with the OCI lib do not need this. I don't know.

Here an example. I have the same definition as you:

,----[ nls_database_parameters ]
| My database too is in WE8ISO8859P15:
| NLS_CHARACTERSET WE8ISO8859P15
`----

Now try the following two statements and select a column with diacricicals.

,----[ NLS_LANG not specfied ]
`----

,----[ NLS_LANG is specified ]
| $ NLS_LANG=german sqlplus scott/tiger
| 60 öäü muh
`----

Harald Received on Tue Aug 19 2003 - 07:50:34 CDT