Re: When and How to run dbms_stats.gather

From: quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:22:15 +1000

On 18 Aug 2003 19:18:18 -0700, Andras Kovacs <andkovacs_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Okay the question wasn't clear.
> You have too much imagination.
>
> Should users be logged off when running dbms_stats ?
> Or can we run dbms_stat during normal cycle of operations ?
>
> Ask the same from Oracle you will get as many answer as they have
> customer analysts ....

Collecting statistics means doing I/O against your tables. Perhaps lots of it, depending on the quality of the statistics being collected and the size of the tables being analyzed. So, whaddyareckon? Fancy a humungous amount of extra I/O going off during the working day whilst users are trying to get work done??

*Can* statistics be collected with users logged in? Yes. Should they be?? Probably not, in a production OLTP environment.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Aug 19 2003 - 05:22:15 CDT