Re: Problems with Oracle 8.1.7 under UNITED LINUX (SuSE 8.1)

From: Harald Maier <maierh_at_myself.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:43:52 +0200

"Markus Hoss" <ho_at_gruen-ag.de> writes:

> "Harald Maier" <maierh_at_myself.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>> "Markus Hoss" <ho_at_gruen-ag.de> writes:
>>
>> > we working with ORACLE 8i under LINUX (SuSE 8.1) and running into
>> > difficulties. The most problematic is: In spite of having 1GB RAM we
>> > are only able to start one tool at a time. For example: starting the
>> > enterprise manager only works one time. Closing it and starting it
>> > again with oemapp console cause no reaction. Other oracle apps wonīt
>> > start too. Only choice reboot.
>>
>> Have you looked in the sysman log files?
>>
> Thatīs the entry for several times: ->OEMCTRL for Linux: Version
> 2.2.0.0.0 ->Copyright (c) 1998, 2000, Oracle Corporation.  All
> rights reserved.  ->Starting the Oracle Management Server...VXA-3008
> : Starting OMS Services, Wait.
>
> ->The OMS is now started and ready.

OMS seems to work.

> No hints on apps like dbassist or oemapp. There is no reaction at all... :
> ( Seems to me, the java environment isnīt very stable.

I know some quirks with netmgr, but dbassist and netca should work. With oem I don't know. On my system the JRE points to ORACLE_HOME/JRE and it works fine.

>> > Another problem is: In spite of having a german environment
>> > (NLS_LANG = GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P15) the two databases run
>> > in American mode. Trying to alter the configuration ends up in a
>> > shutdown of the database but then the following startup fails.
>>
>> What's the error number?
>>
>> Harald

> ORA-01102, but as I saw this problem is solved a thread before. Still all > databases use Amarican mode.

I assume that this isn't a production system so you are able to recreate a database with a different character set. As far as I know under 8.1.7 default is the US7ASCII. In the dbassist tool you have to choose custom.

Harald Received on Tue Aug 19 2003 - 04:43:52 CDT