Re: Avoiding any locks in SQL Servers - read and understand....its magic.

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:44:27 +0100

"Guido Stepken" <stepken_at_little-idiot.de> wrote in message news:bhserr$26q$00$1_at_news.t-online.com...
> Hi, Billy !
>
> I don't really know, if PostgreSQL, Firebird, Informix, LogicSQL are
> phantasy products. The all support MVTO, MVCC. MS and other database
> makers haven't understood the great advantage of this technology.

Can you demonstrate one business critical high-volume system running, not merely on the RDBMS products you describe, but written entirely with this MVTO model? Or since you quote benchmarks perhaps a TPC benchmark. SQL Server,Oracle etc can demonstrate this many times over, as to some extent can the systems that you quote when programmed traditionally.

Where is the technical support for the technology so that when I put in a support call claiming that I have lost an update you can show me how this didn't happen. What developments are planned over the next 3 years? You know all the usual business reasons for buying a product.

Technically, I don't see that you have addressed this issue which others have raised.

time t0 tx1 selects name,address line1,address line 2,zip code from an address table for supplier id 1;
time t0+1 tx2 selects name,address line1,address line 2,zip code from an address table for supplier id 1;
time t0+2 tx1 updates name to the name of the correct supplier at that address.
time t0+3 tx2 updates the address to the correct address of the supplier for the name that existed at t0+1
time t1 tx and tx2 both commit. By removing the row locking mechanism you have managed to create an app that allows bad data to be corrected in two opposite ways by two different keyboard operators. Which transaction does the new transaction manager rollback?

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA