Re: Avoiding any locks in SQL Servers - read and understand....its magic.

From: Guido Stepken <stepken_at_little-idiot.de>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 01:11:44 +0200

Hi Billy !

There is a transaction manager, which keeps its eye on all timstamps of all inserts/updates and even on timestamps of transactions itself, to get all data reconstructed in the right way. In SQL Server you can roll back and forward all transactions, right ? Same does MVTO manager. In merge replication you have a merge controller, who takes care, that all data from all slaves are synchronized correctly into the master, correct ? Don't forget that we have versions. Without MVCC and additional columns with timestamps, it doesn't work. Same in SQL Server and ACCESS (Master-Slave replication). Without hidden columns, it doesn't work. MVTO is much more advanced, than merge replication...

regards, Guido Stepken