When and How to run dbms_stats.gather

From: Andras Kovacs <andkovacs_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Aug 2003 13:23:56 -0700

Hi,

I have a currious problem regarding dbms_stats. Some people says that the system should be shut down when collecting database stats. Our system must be up 24 hours a day => No maintenance off line but everything has to be done online. This issue regards both oracle 8 and oracle 9.

In fact we have major problem with dbms_stats and analyze. Oracle just crashes or causes crashes when running these two commands. We have 3 TARs opened at Oracle. We have reproduced one of the problem but the others are nightmares.

Some people are fed up trying to reproduce the problem and saying we should shut down the system (log out all users) while collecting statistics.

Question for a popular vote:
Should analyze and dbms_stats run online or offline ?

(Because oracle documentation and oracle people are unclear on this) Received on Mon Aug 18 2003 - 15:23:56 CDT