Avoiding any locks in SQL Servers - read and understand....its magic.

From: Guido Stepken <stepken_at_little-idiot.de>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:56:38 +0200

Hello, Billy !

Yes, Billy, there is a solution for avoiding locks of any sort. A SQL Server can be programmed lock free, even if you do not unterstand the very clever idea of MVTO (multi versioning timestamp odering), as i pointed out in several postings. In MVTO all datasets have timestamp as well as the transaction manager itself. With MVCC and MVTO it is possible to delay one transaction as long, as the other transaction writing into the database. Then, if done, the delayed transaction recapitulates, what should have been done and updates the data in this way, as if a lock had been set for avoiding collisions. Its a very clever trick to time - shift two simulaneous writing events on the same data set, in order to avoid any collision.

I am sorry for you, that even you still think, locks are necessary. They aren't, neither from practical, nor from theoretical point of view.

Read my postings about MVTO in goolge groups.

tnx for reading and understanding Reed's mechanism.

regards, Guido Stepken