Re: Disable database

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 17:06:49 GMT

Hi blah, you said...
> HI,
>
> Just for fun I'd like to hear some ideas on how to disable a database which
> would take a DBA a long time to figure out.
>
> I thought a on startup trigger which does a database shutdown might stump a
> few DBA's.

Yep, a trigger like that might stump a *few* DBAs, but you'll have to come up with something a bit more creative to stump *most* DBAs (since a lot of databases are never shutdown except in dire emergencies). Why not change a kernel parameter or two, since a lot of DBAs fail to read the installation guide to find out how to pre-configure Unix for Oracle? There have been a couple of posts on the Web that tell you how to poke a specific value in the SGA that will instantly cause a crash and core dump. How about if you take the database server out of the DNS table?

But when you're finished having fun, the DBA will fix whatever you've done and you'll be looking for a new job. That's the best case scenario. The worst case scenario will have you in prison for interferring with the company's data. So I don't understand the point of your question.

--
[:%s/Karsten Farrell/Oracle DBA/g]