Re: How Long to Update a table with 33 Million records

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 23:50:55 +1000

"chan01" <chandra_2000_us_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:480cb9d4.0308180458.16833573_at_posting.google.com...

> what do you mean by small fraction? the small fraction means nano
> second or micro second?

A small fraction of the 2 minutes time you mentioned. A few seconds.

> while i am doing the math, my database condition is:
> Regular traffice is on + 10% IO during this time + reports are running
> + bulk loads are running.

Too vague. What is the total CPU usage in this period, before and during what you're trying to do. What is the I/O usage in the redo log file systems, the rollback and the tablespace where this table lives.
What are you trying to update, a single column, multiple ones, all of them, are they indexed as well. How are you updating: single UPDATE of a set of 180K rows or 180K UPDATE statements to as many rows. Do you have an index to locate the 180K rows.

These are all things you have to investigate if you want to improve what you got.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto