Re: QFS vs Raw Disk

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 18:06:33 -0700

Rodrick Brown wrote:

> Hi we are currently usign PeopleSoft HRMS 8.8 on solaris with Oracle and are
> running into heavy I/O and slow performance on big queries has anyone
> noticed any big differences when going to Raw disk over QFS ? on Solaris 8 ?

Yes. But why would you expect it to affect the speed of "big queries."

Seems to me that you are chasing the least likely cause while blindfolded with the lights out.

First off have you run TOP?
Do you have any clue as to where the bottleneck is? Is it the disks? controller? bus? etc?
Do you have your I/O evenly spread over your disks or there a hot spot? What are you using to manage your disks? RAID? 0+1 or 5 or something else?
Striping?

And then, of course, it could just be a poorly written query.

What optimizer mode?
Have your run statistics for the optimizer? Have you run explain plan?
TKPROF?
Checked for chained rows?

You don't even mention the Oracle verison and edition. For all anyone trying to help you knows you have version 7.3.2 poorly configured and running a Cartesian Join.

You'll need to do some work before anyone can help you.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu