Re: 64-Bit Oracle UX Server and Applications on 32-bit Win32 system.

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 16 Aug 2003 12:02:43 -0700

mmartoccia_at_selectec.com (Mike) wrote in message news:<4bbb4b69.0308151318.70ec9e89_at_posting.google.com>...
> Thanks Sybrand --
>
> To clarify, there are no "known" speed degradation issues with a
> 32-bit application connecting through ODBC to an Oracle 64-bit server
> and database.
>
> thanks again
>

> Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<tm8qjvcadvr4n8u8m4ngq3quc7nvfn9jb0_at_4ax.com>...
> > On 15 Aug 2003 10:40:17 -0700, mmartoccia_at_selectec.com (Mike) wrote:
> >
> > >Is there a 64-bit ODBC client for a Win32 platform that's not 64-bit
> > >kernelled? My question comes from a client that has moved a database
> > >form a 32-bit 7.3 to a 64-bit 8.1.7. The application is much slower
> > >connecting to this database then the prior 32-bit version. Is this
> > >related to translation differences between 32-bit and 64 servers?
> > >
> > >Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance
> > >
> > >Mike
> >

> > By design 64-bit software doesn't run on a 32-bit platform. The other
> > way would work.
> > As your client both changed the version and the platform at the same
> > time, would can say what has happened. No one here is superterrestial
> > gifted.
> >

> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
> >
> > To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

Mike, I do not know if this is related to your problem but when we went from Oracle 8.0 to 8.1 we had to add memory to the shared pool in order to be able to run the same applications successfully. When we upgraded from 32 to 64 bit 8.1.7 we again had to add memory to the shared pool. You might want to look at your pool statistics. Oracle could be working harder to handle pool resources.

But I would expect that the slow client login process might be related to the version of the client in use. What verion of the Oracle client are your running? Did you also upgrade it?

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Sat Aug 16 2003 - 14:02:43 CDT