Re: Oracle 9i Data Warehouse

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:43:02 GMT

Hi VirVit, you said...
> Hello. I'm sorry for silly questions but time is out and I need to build
> warehouse with future data marting. I've setup sources (flat files), mapping
> them to Oracle tables, transformations. Now I need to run accumulation,
> aggregation and the main proccesing of cubes? And the last, how should I
> present dynamicaly reports (when end-user request report with params) for
> showing? What tools will I need? The best decision is web-based mechanism
> for end-users to allow them view cubes in different dimensions.
>
> Thank's a lot and else one, sorry for worse english and silly questions :-)

Well, it's not easy to make a recommendation based on so little information. Don't take this as the "best" way to do things. Rather consider it some thoughts on what you might want to consider.

For loading from text files, the usual solution is sql loader. I don't know what "transformations" you require, but it can do some basic stuff.

If you want to present dynamic reports in a web browser, then one choice is java server pages (which is how we prepare reports here). You didn't specify which version of Oracle you have, but the most recent versions have a lot of statistical and aggregation functions that you might consider.

--
[:%s/Karsten Farrell/Oracle DBA/g]