Re: Tables and ring-like data structure?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_dualabsamail.co.za>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:35:21 +0200

Ramon F Herrera wrote:

> If you take into account the time and expertise needed,
> sometimes it's better to use a suboptimal solution.

Disagree. <with wild staring eyes and seeking a fresh grip on my lead pipe>

I have had to maintain "solutions" like that. <deep breath> 'nuff said. Except to add that suboptimal is *never* *ever* a solution.

> Not all organizations can have a Sybrand Bakker at their
> disposal. Sometimes, all they can afford is a jack of all
> trades such as myself. Database design is only one of
> many, many tasks that I have to perform.

Same here. I, like many others here, wear other caps beside the Oracle DBA one. So what?

Do the job properly. Unless you do not take pride in your workmanship. Unless you do not care what people think of you professionally when you walk away and leave them with that "suboptimal" heap of crap.

I have worked (and still do work) with people like that.. they will always take the shortcut in the name of "getting the job done". I hate cleaning up their crap after them (an understatement).

> Heck, I could always let other people in my organization
> (MS SQL + FoxPro types) to take over. They would be more than
> happy. I am the one championing the Oracle (+ Java) cause.

That is *not* the issue Ramon. Relation database design is. RDB design is mature. It is actually simple when you stick to the simple rules of normalisation. IT WORKS. Period.

Shortcuts, irrespective of the database product chosen, WILL result (and I personally guarantee it) in a design that will NOT meet business requirements and performance expectations.

You do not need to be a "Oracle expert" to design a proper normalised database. If you cannot normalise a design, then get someone who can. Or at least get someone to _check_ you design. Learn relational theory and get some experience in relational design. Think of it as another tool that will only make you jack o' toolbox better.

Stick to the basics Ramon. That is what makes systems robust. Flexible. Capable. Powerful. And most of all, work as expected.

A suboptimal solution? Bullshit. A job worth doing, is worth doing well... or not all.

--
Billy