Re: Log file I/O throughput

From: Michael Lackey <mlackey_at_illuminet.com>
Date: 15 Aug 2003 13:15:01 -0700

Was down this same road last year. The application was trying to do 200 commits per second. Causes terrible perf problems on an 8x8 SUN using a SAN. Had them commit once every 10 rows and problems cleared up. Being "over committed" is in general hard on the db. Also, if you have two redo logs in each group, unless you have some sort of async io package on the box, you're redo writes are possible sequencial.

Muiltplexing dosn't solve all problems, I multiplex the the control file but lost all three copies several times on a database due to a bad memory chip that crashed the box. Files showed up with an ls but could not be read in any way.