Re: Zero Client front end to Oracle

From: John Russell <netnews6_at_johnrussell.mailshell.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:36:43 GMT

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:23:48 +0200, Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:57:15 +0000, weis <member35827_at_dbforums.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Is there any solution without oracle client to connect oracle db ?
>
>Sure! Use Oracel 9i AS or use Apache. No need to develop new software

Specifically:

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/appdev.920/a96590/adgweb.htm#998000

It is easy to write a set of PL/SQL procedures that accept input through HTML forms, and report status or success/failure by producing web pages.

I sometimes use Perl or other web-aware software to kick off such procedures and parse the resulting web pages, to automate database maintenance without running any database-specific extensions like Perl::DBI.

John

--
Photo gallery: http://www.pbase.com/john_russell/