Re: PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET question

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:25:52 GMT

> You mentioned above and elsewhere in your post that you will be wasting
> memory if you set PAT too high. Interested to know how you come to that
> conclusion as Oracle doesn't allocate the memory unless it's required.

I wasn't aware of this and will update my records. So I now have a question. Why not just set P_A_T to some ungodly value, higher than you'll ever need it? I understand that you might want to make sure that if processes request it, you do not exceed physical RAM on the server. So that is probably the best reason to cap P_A_T.

Thanks for the info,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com