Re: On tnsnames.ora, the SERVICE NAME=<sid> should be change to SID=<sid> under what circumstances?

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 01:30:34 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:pan.2003.08.14.20.13.40.656548_at_yahoo.com.au... --snip--
> It has nothing to do with firewalls, in short. Global_dbname gets a
> mention simply because it's the default service name by which an instance
> registers itself with a listener (in turn, it is itself made up, by
> default, from the DB_NAME and DB_DOMAIN init.ora parameters).
> Global_dbname isn't actually of huge use in RAC, but gets used a fair bit
> when you delve into replication. But in either case, if you miss it out of
> the tnsnames.ora, the instance uses one anyway when it registers itself
> with the listener, constructing it on the fly from those two other
> parameters.

--snip--

Thanks for the excellent explanation. I must admit that these different things do confuse me from time to time. especially that global_dbname which is not exactly a global_name but a service_name. Though I think it does not exactly play any crucial part in replication. Instead the global_name does play more part. db_name, db_domain, global_name, global_dbname, service_name, sid. Almost looks like a deliberate attempt from Oracle to confuse users if any of the above name is different from another :)

Anurag Received on Thu Aug 14 2003 - 20:30:34 CDT