Re: A few NG related questions

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 14 Aug 2003 17:50:46 -0700

Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:<l2bnjv4gs3b0tu5iuhrl8l99h4061ae0oc_at_4ax.com>...
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 13:37:10 GMT, Brian Peasland
> <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >So you have XXX people who visit the Oracle newsgroups and YYY people
> >who visit the SQL Server newsgroups and YYY > XXX. How do you then
> >extrapolate that to some sort of market trend? Maybe it just means that
> >people who use SQL Server are stupid and need more help! Now I'm not
> >saying that this is the case. In fact, I'd never make such a claim. By
> >why didn't you extrapolate that result from your analysis? Or maybe it
> >means that SQL Server people have more time on their hands tending to
> >that one database and therefore have more free time to post to
> >newsgroups. Not my claim, but the jump could be made. Or maybe it means
> >that Oracle people are to obstinate to seek out help. Again, not my
> >claim. Maybe it means that there are *more* Oracle newsgroups and forums
> >to utilize and therefore the questions get spread around to more places.
> >While I don't know this to be true, this is the claim that I am making.
> >
> >I just feel that there was a metric and that metric doesn't tell
> >anything else other than more people visit the SQL Server newsgroup than
> >the Oracle newsgroup. Any reason *why* is shear conjecture.
> >
> >Just my 3.14159265 cents worth,
> >Brian
>
> A bit off topic, but it kind of reminds me of a situation we had here
> several years ago. I'll try be be vague enough to not implicate the
> "innocent."
>
> Two companies enter an agreement to jointly produce a product. All of
> the product comes off the same assembly line with some units carrying
> one brand and the others the other brand. Each company sells the
> product thru their own channels, under their own brand. After a year
> on the market, the numbers for these "competing" products show up on
> the J.D. Power customer satisfaction survey. The product under one
> brand scored significantly higher than the one under the other brand.
>
> Conclusion?
>
> My conclusion (not that it mattered) was that the buyers of the brand
> that scored higher in the customer satisfaction survey were less
> demanding and more easily satisfied than those who bought the lower
> scoreing brand. Indicating that, in reality, customers of the higher
> scoreing company had been conditioned over the years (by the company's
> overall poor quality product) to expect less.

Another version of that is the NUMMI factory (New United Motors mumble), which at one point made GM and Toyota cars that were nearly identical except for interior materials and the stinkin' badges.

Some people just won't believe it.

> Your conclusions may vary.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Badgers?  We don't need no stinkin' Badgers!