Re: A few NG related questions

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:29:49 GMT

Hi Niall Litchfield, you said...
> "Karsten Farrell" <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com> wrote in message
> > Statistics are interesting ... as long as you don't put too much faith in
> > them. It's a good thing we don't have any statisticians lurking in this NG
> > or I'd be in deep ... er, trouble.
>
> Oh contraire stats are highly useful, provided one interprets them
> correctly. This is of course difficult.
>
> for example
>
> you are on a game show (Oracle Nerds R Us) the top prize is a RAC license
> for 64 processors - clearly almost priceless. It is behind one of 3 doors.
> behind each of the other doors is a booby prize (oh I don't know a RAC
> license for 132 processors, dinner with Larry that sort of thing.) You win
> due to your intimate knowledge of block dumps of automatic segment space
> management blocks. there is much rejoicing in Australia.
>
> You choose a door - clearly at this point you have a 1 in 3 chance of
> winning the star prize.
> The host - Rich Niemic (this show badly needs presentation skills) opens a
> door revealing, naturally, a booby prize offers you the chance to swap.
>
> Do You?

Unfortunately, I'm out of swap space.

And I'm statistically certain that this game show would win the ratings sweeps in its first year and break all records for the longest-running game show in the history of Australian TV. Statistically speaking, it'd be just my luck to win a dinner with Larry (but far better than if with Rich) and accidently bump into one of his vases that he so carefully shipped to his Redwood Shores home from the Far East. Suddenly, my Oracle career would be down the toilet. Damn statistics!

--
[:%s/Karsten Farrell/Oracle DBA/g]